Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our garden is growing! (pictures added)



I thought I should post an update on the progress our garden is making. We've been enjoying lettuce and spinach from our garden for nearly two weeks now! Our strawberries seem to have survived transplanting and are putting on fruit.

The peas we started from seed in the garden are starting to creep up the trellis we built. We harvested a crop of radishes, but found them too hot and spicy (they were supposed to be a mild variety) - we're giving it another try, and I'll report back in three weeks.

I transplanted two varieties of tomato (golden and roma), but the jury is still out on how they're fairing.
Our bell pepper never came up, so I cheated and bought a start to plant. Carrots have been a big disappointment. Only a few started to grow, and then birds got to them. I'm down to one, and I've planted a second crop of them. Fingers crossed. 16 walla walla sweet onions made it into the garden (they're looking a bit scraggly), and 2 basil plants. Corn is planted, and so are a few sunflowers (I'm twiddling my thumbs on the latter because they *should* be up any day). Other than that, the apples finished blossoming and are starting to develop fruit, and the blueberry bushes (in their 3rd or 4th year) have a few flowers on them. I think all that's left is to get our pumpkins planted, and then stay on guard against the evil slugs, root maggots, birds, bunnies, and moles who keep us on our toes!

2 comments:

Kila said...

Sounds wonderful!

We had to bring our plants in tonight--it might get down to freezing!

Laura K. said...

Freezing??? No wonder you long for Hawaii. Freezing temps after Memorial Day is just too much for anyone to cope with!