Thursday, March 13, 2008

A captive audience

Maybe you've heard of those programs where they take new and struggling readers and have them read to a canine companion? These take place in libraries and schools around the country. My kids have never shown any interest in reading to our dog, and I've never actually suggested it. However, as I sit typing this, N. is reading to her rats, and she came up with it all on her own. She's reading to them from a passage titled: Animals in Winter: the Dozers.

LOL - here's the conversation taking place...

N (reading): "... they eat worms and grubs."
(to the rats): "Don't worry, boys, you're not worms or grubs, so you don't have anything to worry about!"

2 comments:

Kila said...

How cute, great idea.

I haven't mentioned reading to our dog; perhaps I should. I remember telling the boys that when they need a friend to talk to, or have secrets to tell, the dog is a great listener, and he won't tell anyone!

vegiemama said...

That's too funny!!!!! Rats!