Thursday, December 13, 2007

My gift to the world...

I'm sewing my own giftbags this year. I've been reading, hearing, and talking with others about how much garbage the holiday gift-giving season generates for our planet, and decided that reusable giftbags were the way to go. Plus it gives me an excuse to keep doing simple sewing projects that I can complete in a short amount of time - I like quick and easy.

Here's my first giftbag, made from fabric I had sitting in my closet:



"I'M REVERSIBLE!"



And it folds up so nice for storage:



I still have some kinks to work out. The assembly process wasn't as smooth as it should have been because I was having trouble visualizing how to place the ribbons so that the bag could be reversible. I'd also like to do a mitered edge on the bottom of the bag, but I can't figure out how I can do that and have it reversible. The examples I found online were for single-sided bags. I have some ideas that I think I'll work through on some scrap material first. Maybe I'll have to whip out a bunch of these over the next 10 months, and then sell them at holiday bazaars next year! ;P

Okay family, friends, and lurking blog readers - I need your help. We're going to order photo greeting cards (should have already done that - thank goodness for Costco), and I can't decide which picture to use.

#1:

#2:

What do you think?

3 comments:

The Beachbums said...

We love the one with the Santa hats but the other one is cute too. Since it is Christmas the Santa hats is our pic. Also, love the gift bag idea and I would think you would do really well selling them at bazaars next year.

vegiemama said...

I vote for the Santa hats pic. Your kids are adorable!

Kila said...

Your gift bags are a great idea! Love it!

The first photo is my favorite, because of your son's smile! How adorable, oh my!