Friday, December 12, 2008

Holiday decorating is for the birds

Really, it is. At least for the birds in our backyard. Big Sister and I decided we wanted to decorate our little evergreen tree out in the backyard with some natural decorations for our fine feathered friends (or whoever else might decide to stop by). We made a couple of garlands of air-popped popcorn, dried cranberries, and dried cantaloupe (the kids won't eat it, and I didn't know what else to do with it) strung on thread. We also made some edible ornaments by spreading peanut butter on the aforementioned dried cantaloupe, and then dipping them in birdseed (I threaded a loop through on one end so they could hang in the tree).

Big Sister started out making garlands, but then decided that making ornaments would be more fun.


Then she decided that spreading peanut butter was too messy and boring, so she went back to threading popcorn. Trying to, anyway. (Doesn't she have the cutest freckles?)


And then she let me know I was taking my life into my own hands if I continued harassing her with all the picture taking. (Remind me to have her clean up whatever is stuck to the wall behind her. Ewww!!!)


This is what the ornaments looked like when they were done (except that they were in focus in real life, lol):


And here's Big Sister decorating the tree. Can you believe she's wearing a short-sleeve shirt in December? It's like we're back in CA or something. Hard to believe there's snow in the forecast for the next few days, with sub-freezing highs. I guess one last dose of vitamin D was in order.


Decorations nicely hung...


"Merry Christmas, little woodland creatures!"


Nevermind that in the hours that followed we didn't see a single furred or feathered friend anywhere near the tree. I'll be curious to see what things look like when the sun finally comes up....

2 comments:

JenPB said...

This sounds fantastic! Did the birds beat the snow?

Laura K. said...

The birds didn't know a good thing when they saw it, but the squirrels did! They made quick work of every last morsel.