Saturday, April 28, 2007

All in the name of beauty

I'm not very good with the whole girly beauty regimen thing. I'm just not versed in the intricacies of various layers of make up, etc. This includes having some of the world's least feminine eyebrows you've ever seen. I pluck here and there, but they're really pretty unruly. Okay, not nasty-old-man unruly, with out-of-control, 3-inch long hairs going every which way, but they aren't girly brows. I covet natural-looking girly brows.

Last spring I went to a Mom's Weekend in Vegas with some of my old friends from CA. A friend and I decided to book appointments for eyebrow waxing at the Spa at Bally's where we were staying. The process didn't involve too much pain. I know it involved hot wax, and some kind of twisting thing that rips the hairs out, and some trimming with scissors. My eyes were closed the whole time, so I really don't know what all went on, but I had a rough idea.

Well that was a whole year ago, ya know? And I was overdue to whip these puppies into shape. I bought myself some wax strips, plucked, trimmed, and then ripped out all the hair that seemed to be growing in the wrong place. I think they're kind of uneven now, but if I tip my head to the side slightly, I'm sure no one will be the wiser (lol, except for all of you reading this blog).

Now I seem to have completely forgotten about the side effect to the waxing I had done in Vegas: inflamed, bright red skin where the wax had been. Yesterday was no different, and all the moisturizer and ice cubes in the world weren't going to make the red halos, over my now carefully manicured brows, go away anytime soon. So last night I went to bookclub with flaming pink skin across my upper brow. I had mostly forgotten about it until I came home and looked in the mirror, only to find that it was redder and more obvious than it had been earlier in the day. And this is better than my regular eyebrows??? Why do we do this to ourselves? Ugh. LOL - but the thing is, I'm sure this won't be the last time, either!

1 comment:

Kila said...

I've never done that, and likely never will. I just pluck on my own every couple days, often while driving to work, LOL. It's a long ride, I need something to do.