Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Brainstorming

I'm in planning mode for the coming year. I've done this every year, often times more than once a year. I love planning, scheduling, compiling resources, etc. I'm not so good on the following through. Never have been. I get all excited... and then fly off to something else new and exciting. That's why I had declared majors in Biology, General Science, German, Sociology, and Psychology before finally settling on Philosophy. By the time I declared a Philosophy major, I had enough credits that I could complete the major in exactly three terms. It was a love affair I managed to maintain for a year, and it was all I needed to finally complete the seven year journey that was my bachelors degree.

But I digress... I've got a plan in mind for the coming year. Ever eclectic in my approach, here's what I'm piecing together:

Story of the World, Volume 1 - Ancient History (for World History/Geography)
Core Knowledge 3rd Grade for U.S. History
Ambleside Online booklist suggestions for Year 1 and 2 (for History and Lit.)
TOPS Primary Lentil Science, and Backyard Scientist 1 and 2 (science)
Handwriting Without Tears
Singarpore Math
PhonicsWorks

This is all rather ambitious of me. We'll see what happens. I'm figuring that both kids will listen to all the read-alouds (CM and SOTW), and work together on the Lentil Science kit (with Natalie recording their data/observations). I'm hoping to still keep things "light", as in "not feeling stifled by this school thing". You know - keeping the love of learning alive and all that. N. is begging for me to create a schedule for her again - she's a strange creature, that one!

1 comment:

Kila said...

Sounds wonderful to me!

There is so much available, it's hard to decide on something!