Saturday, July 7, 2007

Do what I mean, not what I say.

Last night I sent the kids upstairs to clean up the living room before bedtime. For most of the afternoon, they'd been playing some complicated scenario that involved a new Darth Vader and Littlest Pet Shop kitty cat that Grammy had sent to them, so they had toys spread all over. After a few minutes, I headed up the stairs. I often try to sneak up the stairs to eavesdrop on their conversations, and the one last night just made me beam.

N: (in a slightly bossy tone) "A., you need to put your toys away in your room."

A: "Momma said to clean up the living room."

N: "I know, but she didn't mean to just throw them in your bedroom. I think she meant that she wanted us to put our toys away. You can do what you want to do, but I am going to go put my stuff away where it belongs."

I couldn't help but smile to myself. Aside from the Bossy Big Sister thing she had going on, it was nice to know she's finally starting to read between the lines and be a little less literal about things. I experienced that fleeting moment of "they really are listening to me!" that you get as a parent once in a while. The small affirmations that you're getting through to them in tiny bits. It was a nice feeling. In the end, hopefully A. won't feel the need to rebel against both of his mommies when he gets older, LOL!

1 comment:

Kila said...

I have a younger brother (3 yrs younger) and though he's taller than I, and more successful, I still feel like his 2nd mother, LOL.