Friday, August 10, 2007

Checking in.

Just a little update:

The planning for the coming school year is coming along nicely. I've got lesson plans entered into HS Tracker up through the middle of October, with notes left to enter that take us through the end of that month. That's as far as I want to go with this at this point - in mid-September I'll see how we're progressing, and then proceed from there.

This morning was my SparkPeople weigh-in (link located on the right), and I've lost 12 pounds so far (since July 8). Yay, me! And that was with me falling off the wagon with my food tracking this week. I guess my intake was okay. Phew!

We had a great parent meeting this month with our hs group. Janice Hedin was our speaker - I just love her! She was such a help to me when we were fighting our local district on changes they were making to their Alt-ed/Parent-Partnership program. We didn't get the results we were after on that, but at least now I know I'm not the only one who thinks this system is completely screwed up. Anyway, Janice is a veteran hs'er whose children are now grown and off in successful careers. Her enthusiasm for homeschooling is contagious, and hearing her speak about the benefits of hsing, and even singing the praises of our hsing law, was really inspiring. Perfect way to start out the homeschooling year!

My term as president of our group begins September 1st. I've got meeting topics planned through at least November, and three others in mind for future months. That leaves me only four more to plan! I'll be glad when that's done. I HATE planning stuff like this. Fortunately it's coming together much faster and easier than I had expected. I'm tapping into our members, both as speakers, and for ideas, and they are really coming through for me. Thank goodness. I had let them all know that I am just fine getting up in front of the group and running meetings, but if they wanted anything decent to be there to talk about, they were going to have to help me out. I guess they heard me, LOL!

N. goes to Girl Scout day camp next week! She's super excited. We've got most of her stuff ready, but I still need to put her name on a few things, and find her a water bottle to take along. One concern I've been having is that the kids are going to be completely exhausted and impossible to wake in time to have her at the bus stop. They haven't been going to sleep until 10:30 most nights, and have been sleeping in until 9-9:30, which just isn't going to work for camp week (or from there on out, since we'll be starting in on our homeschooling the following week). So to get things moving in that direction, I had them in bed by 8:30 last night. You know that saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"? Well, they were still awake at 9:30. But they didn't get out of bed during that time! My threats must have worked, LOL! I'm going to wake them up earlier this morning, and hopefully shift their internal clocks a bit.

No comments: