Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This is why we take swimming lessons...

N. had a make-up swimming lesson today since she had missed a week when she was gone at girl scout camp. A. and I were sitting in plastic chairs along the side of the pool watching - until he hopped out of his chair and tried to climb back into it again. His chair flipped forward, causing him to fall backward - right into the pool. He reacted just what he is supposed to - surfaced, and then tried to reach the edge. Of course at that point I was already grabbing him up out of the water. He didn't cry, but was surprised, cold, and embarassed. Because he wasn't supposed to be going in the pool today (!) I didn't have any change of clothes or a towel for him, so I wrapped him in N's towel and we sat in the sun. He was exceptionally quiet for the last 20 minutes of sister's class, and just snuggled with me the entire time. I wonder if this will make him think twice before goofing around in the chairs again?

N. reminded me that this is the second time in his life that he's fallen into a body of water while completely clothed. The first was a couple of years ago at the pond on MIL's property. That time his quick-acting uncle jumped in after him. Apparently A. is making a habit of this, so I'm really glad the swimming lessons are paying off!

1 comment:

Six Green Zebras said...

Oh A! How scary, for both of you. What did his teacher say? Good for him remembering what to do - definitely just made every penny worth of swimming lessons well worth it.

Give him a hug!