Saturday, August 18, 2007

So unbelievably uncalled for!

I was out with N. this morning, running errands, and driving the corolla (we try to use it whenever we have the option in order to save gas - anywho...). We stopped at Kinko's and as I was getting out of the car, N. was getting out her side and I hear a "thud" as she accidently opens her door into the car we parked next to. This was followed by the sound of a sharp intake of breath by that car's driver (who was seated in the car at the time) as I'm running over to take a look at her door. There was a little ding/scratch/dent thing in her door, but her SUV wasn't new, and there was really no way to know if it was our car that did it.

So this "woman" (and I use the term loosely because I'm fairly certain she's a relation of the Wicked Witch of the West) gets out of her car, and asks me if there's any damage. I point out the ding-thing, and she agrees that she can't prove that "she" (meaning N.) did it. I apologize profusely, and then explain that N. isn't use to opening a door like that because we're usually in a van with doors that slide. Rather than a comment I might expect, like "Oh, I understand", she raises her voice and starts totally laying into N!

"Well aren't you spoiled?" (I'm like "huh?" - this was her response to being told N. usually uses sliding doors).
"Just let this be a lesson to you!"
N. meekly apologizes.
Lady: "I'm sure you won't be doing *that* again!"

What the...? She acted like my just-turned-8-year old had keyed her SUV and then run off. Her reaction was completely uncalled for, and she had no right to call my kid spoiled! I was floored, but didn't engage with her because that's not my style. My style is to let it fester inside me, and then write a blog entry about it! LOL! So the entire time I'm making my 10 billion copies at kinko's, I'm thinking about this crazy lady, and what I should have said. By the time we were leaving, I was wishing she was still sitting there in her car because what I really wanted to say to her was "Wow, I'm really impressed that you've made it all your life without ever having opened your door into another car. Hat's off to you... Bitch. Next time consider taking your broom - they take up less parking space."

But, alas, she was gone.

2 comments:

vegiemama said...

ROFL "Next time take your broom--they take up lest parking space." Bwahahahahaha. I could have said something like that today ;-) Roll on, PMS

Laura K. said...

PMS? Moi? Surely you jest! :P