Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Drowning in paper...

I'm drowning in "important papers" created by my two children. My kindie boy brings home at least 2 or 3 drawings or completed coloring sheets per day now (not to mention all of the newsletters, book catalogs, etc. from the school). Initially I dutifully hung them on the wall. By "initially" I mean the first two days - it then became apparent that our home would soon be wallpapered in scarcely colored worksheets if I didn't slow things down. Now they are in a stack on the the dining room table.

My girl has started creating illustrated story books from her language arts lessons. They start out as a roughdraft on a worksheet with writing prompts, or blanks to be filled in with descriptive words, and then they take on a life of their own. She edits them, rewrites them, sometimes rewrites them once again, and illustrates them. If she could simply draw all day, she would. Actually, for years the story books she created consisted entirely of pictures, and she would have to read the story to her audience because the narrative was stored in her brain. The perfectionist in her didn't allow her to write anything on the pages because she worried about the words being misspelled, and I think knowing there were errors on the pages took some of the joy away. Well, all in due time, because now she's coming up with these great stories with both illustrations AND narrative on the page... but where to put them?

I'm toying with doing something with notebooks and page protectors. The page protectors are nice because you don't have to hole punch anything (like N's stories). Being in notebook form, it would be easier to look through than the stack of A's papers currently piled on the dining room table. I could keep most of his work for a while, and then gradually weed threw it, or I might be able to keep one month's work in a single protector. It could turn into a portfolio of sorts for N., and I could keep all our homeschool paperwork in there, along with the journalling I'm trying to do on her homeschooling. Hmmm... this could work....

1 comment:

Six Green Zebras said...

I have a big plastic bin that has all of the little man's work in it. I put everything in it initially, then eventually (every few months) I go through and purge keeping only the more special things. I love the box that mom has with all of our papers in it, and I wanted to recreate that for my boy.