Friday, January 23, 2009

Mulitplying Mayhem

edited (1/24) to add: "how embarassing to have a typo in the title of a post! bleh!"

While watching Bis Sister work on her math last night, I decided I'm not pleased with her recall speed on many of her multiplication facts. We'd been using Timez Attack quite a while ago, but she didn't care for it - she got really anxious when it came time to face the big ogres in the dungeon, to the point of nearly being in tears. That's my sensitive kid for you. The boy child thinks Timez Attack is great fun.

So I went searching the 'net to find hints and ideas for reinforcing and practicing multiplication facts. I came upon Multiplication.com, which was just the ticket. Lots of free online games that appeal to a variety of interests. Big Sister enjoyed "Math Models" (answer enough multiplication problems, and it opens up more outfits and accessories to dress your model), and "Cone Crazy" (serve the penguins the flavor ice cream they want by answering problems correctly). Other games include trying to fling a knight over a castle wall (rather than into the wall, or the moat), whacking moles, and much, much more. Fun stuff. In addition to the games, they also have other printable activities and resources to help make those multiplication facts stick. I haven't explored much further, but it looks like they have sites for other math operations as well. I can tell Multiplication.com is going to get a lot of use in our house!

2 comments:

JenPB said...

I'm tellin' ya...parallel lives! We just discovered this site, too, though we haven't gotten past the knight-flingin' game. Our 8 year old is having some problems with multiplication recall, too. Hope this helps! :)

Anonymous said...

Cool, I should have Davis check it out. I have no idea when that child is finally going to get a handle on her multiplication facts. Ugh!