Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday

Rain, rain, go away....

Not much to report here. Instead of starting the morning off with homeschooling, Big Sister and I ended up grocery shopping. We ran out of milk after I made Little Brother's oatmeal, and I didn't have anymore in the downstairs fridge. Oops. On the way to the store, I mentioned to Big Sis that some other families we know let their kids plan and prepare one dinner/week. She was very interested, and wants to get started tonight. She's making sloppy joes and tossed salad. I'm looking forward to it - not sure why I didn't consider this before!

In the process of looking for some knitting needles I knew I had stashed around here somewhere, I came across an origami instruction book. Origami is something Big Sis has talked about wanting to learn, and she was really excited when she saw the book on the coffee table. I'd also found a pack of origami paper, so she got to work right away. So far she's folded a swan, goose, duck, and fish.

Part of Little Brother's homework this afternoon was to write a list of three things that are cold. Are you ready for his list?

1. ice
2. Antarctica
3. liquid nitrogen

We saw a program at the science center last week called "Super Cool" and they used liquid nitrogen experiments to demonstrate states of matter. Apparently it left a lasting impression.

It's wet up here. Our seasonal stream through the backyard has returned. The snow is nearly all melted - just a few stray patches here and there. The road around the corner from us is closed due to flooding. Other than that, we're doing just fine. There are many nearby communities that are much, much worse off, with towns turned to islands by the rivers rising well above flood stage. Everytime this happens, I'm reminded of how thankful I am that hubby talked me out of buying a home out in Carnation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you stay dry, and good luck with the new ideas/projects!