Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'm not above bribery

I made a deal with the kids yesterday that we'd get them a small Christmas tree for the family room/play room if they can get it clean, and keep it clean for a week. And it has to stay clean for the duration of the tree's time in the room, or it gets taken away. I'm hoping that if they manage that for the amount of time the tree is up, they'll have gotten into some better habits. Probably wishful thinking. I just hate going into that room, and pretty much avoid it at all costs. I can't remember the last time I watched television (our only tv is in that room), or went on the treadmill - I hate walking in there. Between hubby and the two kids, the room is a complete disaster most of the time - toys, dirty socks, used dishes, etc. The four of us tackled it together last night, and it's looking much better. When I'm the only one cleaning, I find myself resenting the three of them because I truly have nothing to do with that space in the house. It irritates me that they seem to think a Cleaning Fairy will swoop in and make it all better (and that goes for the adult child I live with, too, LOL). So, in short, I hope they earn their Christmas tree, and that it gets to stay up for a long, long time.

3 comments:

Six Green Zebras said...

You could put a fake one down there - change the decorations for the holidays. LOL. Hmmm...ya think the novelty might ware off after a bit?

Anonymous said...

I'm usually the one doing the cleaning, too, which can certainly cause some resentment. DH is a bad example to the boys in that area, argh.

Your Christmas Tree reward/idea might help!

Anonymous said...

My slogan has always been "whatever works"! Go for it L.