Thursday, October 23, 2008

Interesting commentary

Singer/songwriter Tom Chapin has written a song titled "Not on the Test" that illustrates what may be taking place in public schools that are no longer providing instruction in art, music, and physical education due to restrictions placed on them by NCLB. The video and lyrics, as well as Tom's experience as a student of the public school system vs. what he sees in his grandchildren's generation, can be found at http://www.notonthetest.com/index.html
As a kid who leaned heavily to the "artsy" side, I'm not sure how I would have fared in school if I hadn't had that outlet. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to pursue my own passions by taking electives in jr. high and high school that I really began to excel academically. I hope the artsy, musical kids aren't forgotten.

4 comments:

Six Green Zebras said...

I'm so very thankful that we're in the district that we're in. I know just how lucky I am that the Little Man has everything available to him and that he has PE and music not once but TWICE a week! I have to say I'm impressed, and beyond pleased by that.

Laura K. said...

We are in a good district, I have to agree. There are loads of volunteers for all kinds of enrichment activities. I'm particularly impressed with the art docent program. Kind of bummed that half-day kindergarten doesn't do any PE or music at all, but that's my only gripe so far.

Six Green Zebras said...

Really??? Last year, at half day four day a week K, the Little Man had PE, Music, Library, and Computer - one activity everyday. Weird how two schools in the same district can be so different.

Kila said...

Happy to say there is still LOTS of art and music going on in our school district!

I'm terrible at art, didn't like it, but I think it's absolutely necessary for kids.