Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Creamy Thai Carrot Soup

Yum. As soon as I knew I was going to be on smooth foods for a week, I started craving this soup. I couldn't wait to make up a batch this morning!

CREAMY THAI CARROT SOUP

INGREDIENTS

2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 pound baby carrots
1/2c. chopped onions
1 medium garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 tsp. freshly grated ginger root
1 1/2 tsp. yellow curry powder, or thai curry paste
1/2 tsp. salt
6oz. silken tofu
3/4 c. plain yogurt

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a medium saucepan (I use a 3qt.) bring broth, carrots, onion, garlic, and ginger to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until carrots are tender. Stir in curry paste/powder and salt; simmer 1 minute to blend flavors. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

2. In a small bowl, mix together tofu and yogurt; add to saucepan and puree in pot using an immersion hand blender (or in batches in regular blender) until smooth. Yields approximately 4 - 1 cup servings.

When I popped into the grocery store on my way home from my tooth extraction, they didn't have any silken tofu, so I ended up with firm. Consequently my soup is a little grainy. I was hoping the yogurt would smooth it out some, which it may have (this was my first time making it with the yogurt, and I think it adds nice flavor).

No comments: