Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Putting the "car" in carschooling today...

No more driving for me. Today was my day for driving drama carpool, so I go pick up our other drama princess, drive to Kirkland, drive back to pick-up my kindergartener, drive back to Kirkland, drive back to drop of drama princess #2, and drive home. We were supposed to have parkday afterwards, but by then I'd already put 50+ miles on the van this morning, and parkday was way the heck out in Brier (which means nothing to most of you, but let's just say it isn't even remotely in my neck of the woods). And it is an absolutely gorgeous, sunny day! I just couldn't make myself drive another mile. I told the kids they had to go play out in the yard and soak up some vitamin D before their bones turn to rubber. Socialization can wait another day. ;P

And speaking of that very thing...

Yesterday, after the "incident" with that sweet little girl during the hearing screening, I finally had the opportunity to meet Little Brother's Recess Teacher. He's been coming home with stories about her since day one of the school year, and he seems to spend a lot of time chatting with her each day. Recess Teacher is actually an office assistant who doubles as the playground supervisor at recess time. When I introduced myself, she said she was so excited to finally met Little Brother's Mom. Apparently she's been working at this school from the time her kids were born (they're now 28 and 26), so she's met a kid or two. She said that every once in a while she meets a kid who she thinks is just really put together, and that my boy is one of those kids (and shush! - she doesn't say that to everyone!). She said he's polite, caring, respectful, friendly, helpful, gets along great with the other kids, and is interesting to talk with. She wanted to know how we (ie. Mom and Dad) had managed to create such a great kid. I said I wasn't really sure, but that it was nice to hear these things because he's been homeschooled since birth, and I was a little worried how he'd get along at school. She responded, "Well, he's so well socialized, you can't even tell he was homeschooled!"

That's a compliment. Right? I'm taking it as a compliment. I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, despite your best efforts, he turned out OK! LOL I'd take her statement as a compliment. Congrats on having such a great kid! :)

Laura K. said...

It was a strange thing to say, but I guess we're not totally screwing up our kids with the homeschooling. It's nice to hear some positive affirmation. Maybe my kids can help shatter some of the homeschooler stereotypes along the way.